FLETCH: Looking Back and Forward
Looking Back and Forward
Throughout the Bible, especially in the Psalms, we see the authors of Scripture looking back on what God has done in their lives. God is active and constantly at work on us, transforming us into the image of His Son, Jesus. This is a great time to reflect on our year and to thank God for His steadfast love and faithfulness. Even if you went through a serious crisis this year I would imagine that you saw the hand of God in your life. So I encourage you to take a few moments and chronicle some key events that happened and give God the glory for them. Below are some questions to get you thinking.
I also want to encourage you to think about your life in four key areas: spiritual, emotional, physical and relational. Not that you would compartmentalize these areas, but that you would consider them as four major parts of your life that impact the whole of your life.
- What were some highs and lows?
- What did you do that you really enjoyed doing?
- What did you do that you really did not enjoy doing?
- Who did you spend time with that you really liked?
- What acts of service or mercy did you do? Did you like it?
- Did you learn to do something new this year?
- What material possessions did you acquire? What impact did they have on your life?
- What were some major themes you saw God working on in your life?
- What did you read this year? Did it change or impact your life in some way?
- Did you accomplish any goals that you set for yourself this year?
- What are you thankful for from this past year?
- Do you feel like you spent quality time with your family?
- Where did you go on vacation? Was it a good time with your family?
- Did you date your spouse this year? Any overnights?
- Did you have an exercise plan this past year?
- Did you smash any idols this year?
- Who did you spend time with this year that was encouraging to you? Challenging to you?
- What ways were you involved in church/Kingdom work? Was it challenging? Do you feel like you were using your God given gifts?
- What Scripture did you read or study this year that had a profound impact on your life?
- Where has the gospel been at work changing your life?
Looking ahead to 2012…
- What spiritual disciplines are you going to create?
- What friends are you going to invest in?
- How are you going to cultivate the relationships with your family?
- What God honoring things are you going to do for yourself this year?
- What steps are you going to take to stay in shape physically and stay healthy?
All for Jesus,